Most of the Dwarf tomatoes set fruit. It hasn't been very wet or humid, hasn't been all that hot - that's a recipe for healthy tomato plants and good fruit set, and that is what I am observing. Of all of my nearly 150 plants in containers, only one is causing concern. Rosella Crimson just doesn't look happy, and my suspicion is early onset of Tomato Spotted Wilt virus. I will keep an eye on it. The foliage is a bit wilty (only slightly), the plant isn't growing vertically at the moment - yet it is loaded with small green tomatoes.
Some peppers and eggplant are showing open flowers; 2 peppers (Red Belgium and Kalman Hungarian) have peppers. Eggplant Mardi Gras and Midnight Lightning have open flowers. Aunt Molly ground cherry is already quite large and has lots of the green husked fruit.
I took my time and did the next tie up on Dwarf tomatoes and some of the indeterminates in grow bags. I also did extensive removal of suckers on the indeterminates (such discipline needed). most have open blossoms. Once a few clusters set fruit, I have to take the difficult act of topping them to keep them relatively short, so that they are manageable in the driveway.
I transplanted some flowers that germinated last week - some Cosmos, Dahlia and Portulaca. The act of transplanting is fun and addictive.
As far as the bale garden, I filled in holes in the Chard and Beets bale with the remaining seedlings still in the plug flats. I replanted some seeds - carrots, beans, squash and cukes (into the bales), and lettuce and leeks (in plug flats in my garage). I also planted a few more seed potatoes. It was exciting to find that most of the seed potatoes I planted are sprouting out of the topping soil-less mix.
I will be sharing lots of pics in my next bale updates, on Saturday and Sunday. We are sure enjoying eating the lettuce, chard, arugula and kale!