But when I went out and started poking around the squash and cuke plants, it was quite astounding. Here I thought our Diva cuke plants were struggling, and that I maybe didn't plant enough summer squash. I was wrong on both counts.....I think the final total was 35 cukes (mostly Diva, but some Salt and Pepper, Poona Keera, and volunteer cukes as well) and perhaps 15-20 summer squash, some of which are definitely stuffing/baking category specimens. Then there were the bush beans - not an overabundance, but plenty - and the row of Fowler beans that I planted just before our departure are up and growing.
Tomato wise - my goodness. Lots. We knew we'd find plenty of Sungold and Mexico Midget and Coyote, but dozens and dozens of others are now ripening, including many of the Dwarf project varieties. I took pictures of every single plant prior to picking...then went around with my basket and sharpie and picked anything that was completely ripe (it is always tricky to guess what may be perfect for this coming Saturday's Tomatopalooza event - by Wednesday the varieties I will bring to taste will be easier to predict). There are some surprises, there are some delights....all sorts of colors and sizes. I've not transcribed my voice recorder yet, where I weighed and commented on them all....maybe tomorrow. And perhaps some pics tomorrow as well. Most lovely specimen was definitely a one pound, perfect Lucky Cross....in fact, all five Lucky Cross plants are just about to crank out the ripe tomatoes. And that is a great thing indeed!
So, with everything watered, and most everything picked, it is time to pick up where I left off - the daily routine, which is all right with me. Tomorrow I must check out progress on the sweet and hot peppers and eggplant. So many projects all going on at once.....just too much fun!